About Me

My photo
Stay at home mommy of two beautiful girls. Wife to a handsome, hard working husband.

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Delivery - The Aftermath

So when you have a baby (at least at our hospital), the plan is as follows:

1.  Have baby.
2.  Baby and Mommy get cleaned up.
3.  Baby stays in room with Mommy and Daddy for 1 hour.
4.  Baby goes to nursery for bath/tests/etc. and Mommy goes to postpartum room.
5.  Happy family is reunited a few hours later.

That is not exactly what happened for us.  Pregnancy and labor had gone so smoothly that I guess I was due for something to go wrong.  Luckily, I usually don't set myself up for disappointment by having high/specific expectations, so I took it all in stride.

I'll spare you the gory details of why this happened, but basically I lost 4 times the amount of blood you are supposed to lose when you have a baby - a total of about 2000 mL.  Later, my dad pointed out that 2000 mL equals 2 liters.  That made it sound like even more, so I like to stick with milliliters since they sound small!

The delivery room was very chaotic during this ordeal, and as time went by, the doctor's voice sounded more and more concerned/alarmed/nervous.  After more than an hour of trying all kinds of techniques and drugs, they were finally able to stop the bleeding.  Unfortunately, that meant that my brand new baby girl was already sent to the nursery, and I hadn't even gotten to hold her.

Although this was not how I envisioned the moments after the delivery, in the end, everything turned out okay.  I got to hold my daughter about 4 1/2 hours after she was born, and it was incredibly emotional as you can see below.


Now I get to hold her whenever I want, and she is too cute for words!

No comments:

Post a Comment