About Me

My photo
Stay at home mommy of two beautiful girls. Wife to a handsome, hard working husband.

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Pinterest Project: Handprint Ornament

Do you Pinterest?  If not, you REALLY need to.  I love to just peruse Pinterest, but I have actually made some of the things I've found, so I thought I'd start sharing some of the ones I loved.


                                                                 Source: asortafairytaleblog.com via Heather on Pinterest


Yes, I know Christmas was almost two months ago.  But I couldn't share this before Christmas without ruining the surprise, and I just haven't gotten around to it since then!

Anyway, I thought this ornament was adorable, so I had to try it.

Here is my version:  


It's hard to get a good picture that shows all the details, but it says Merry Christmas above the hand print and Emery 2011 below the hand print.


And here it is hanging on the tree!

Christmas will be here again before we know it, so it you want to try this for the holidays, there is a link under the original picture to the blog where I got the directions.  I made four, and it was not as easy as I thought it would be, but totally worth it!

For my version, I used:

Clear (slightly iridescent) glass ornaments 
Clear embossing ink pad
Red glittery embossing powder
Fine tip red paint pen
Red ribbon
Q-tips and water to clean up edges
Wet wipes to completely wipe off the ink when I messed up!
Stove burner (to heat seal the embossing ink/powder)

To me, the hardest part was getting a good hand print because you can't just tell a 10 month old to place their hand neatly in a certain spot.  At first, I tried to place her hand where I wanted it, but it ended up looking like a big blob instead of a hand print.  I had the best luck holding the ornament slightly out of Emery's reach and letting her grab at it.  As soon as her hand touched it, I pulled it away before it got all smudgy.

Don't forget to do this next Christmas!  I love the one I made for myself, and the ones I gifted were big hits!

No comments:

Post a Comment