About Me

My photo
Stay at home mommy of two beautiful girls. Wife to a handsome, hard working husband.

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Baby Food: Avocado

Since I'm home full-time, I figured I might as well make E's food myself.  We are just getting started, so I decided to chronicle our journey through new foods (what worked, what didn't, what E thought)!

I've use the Wholesome Baby Food website to get most of my information.  It's a great resource for anyone who's interested in preparing homemade baby food.

Emery started eating rice cereal at 4 months, and we moved to oatmeal after a couple of weeks.  At 5 months, I decided to add in fruits and veggies, starting with avocados.


Avocado is easy to feed a baby since it doesn't need to be cooked, but it doesn't keep long enough for E to eat the whole thing, so I knew I'd need to freeze some to make it work.  I read about several different methods, but I decided to freeze it in chunks and mash as needed.  


I cut the avocado into 8 chunks, dipped each chunk in water with a hint (just a few drops) of lemon juice, and froze them on wax paper.


Once the chunks were frozen, I put them in a labeled freezer bag.


I take out a chunk about an hour before E eats and mash it once it's thawed.  Voila!  

Oatmeal with a side of avocado

Now for the Emery test!!!

At first, I gave her a bite of just avocado, and she wasn't sure what to think!


Still not sure if she wants to eat any of it...


After the first couple of bites, I mixed the avocado in completely with the oatmeal.  She still wasn't sold on it, but she ate the whole bowl.


In the end, she seemed like a satisfied customer!


Stay tuned for our next adventure - bananas!

No comments:

Post a Comment